Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Trivia to Live By

Yes, I’m a collector of trivia, tips, strategies, tactics, pointers and bits of information – stuff that makes me mutter, “Gee, I didn’t know that.” Or sometimes, “Gee, I knew that but I forgot it.” As I get older, often it’s the latter statement I utter the most. Sometimes I think I’m a victim of C.R.S. (Can’t Remember Shit). Or suffering from Somesheimers (a precursor of Alzheimers). And always I’m amazed at how much stuff I do remember. So this will be a compilation of more items I’ve re-discovered lately that I find useful, interesting, valuable and I must admit, sometimes even stupid.
Trivia to Make Your Day
If you accidentally lock your keys in the car and your spare keys are at home, call someone at home on your cell phone. Hold your cell phone about a foot from your car door and have the other person at your home press the unlock button of your key fob (clicker), holding it near the phone on their end. Your car doors will unlock. Distance is no object. You could be many miles away, and if you can reach someone who has the other "remote" key for your car, you can unlock the doors or the trunk.

Really Trivial Quotes
“I can assure you that data processing is a fad that won't last out the year.” - Editor of business books, Prentice Hall, 1957
“But what ... is it good for?” - Engineer at the Advanced Computing Systems Division of IBM, 1968, commenting on the microchip.
"640K ought to be enough for anybody." - Bill Gates, 1981
“So we went to Atari and said, 'Hey, we've got this amazing thing, even built with some of your parts, and what do you think about funding us? Or we'll give it to you. We just want to do it. Pay our salary; we'll come work for you.' And they said, 'No.' So then we went to Hewlett-Packard, and they said, 'Hey, we don't need you. You haven't got through college yet.'" - Apple Computer Inc. founder Steve Jobs commenting on numerous attempts to get Atari and H-P interested in his and Steve Wozniak's personal computer. (You all know Steve Jobs of Apple and Steve Wozniak - of ballroom dancing fame.)

No comments:

Post a Comment